Our rapidly scaling medical education technology company is seeking a VP of Engineering to lead our engineering team. In this role, you will be working with the engineering & product team to streamline our engineering processes, help create our product strategy and roadmap, and develop our team of engineers.
This is a leadership position in a unique distributed, start-up environment, so we are looking for a candidate who is not afraid to roll up his or her sleeves to do the work and to collaborate with team members across the organization.
Our mission is to “Empower the world’s clinicians & caregivers with the best learning experience possible.” To this end, we have an audience of more than a million current & future clinicians as well as patients and family members. Members of the Osmosis learning platform and video library use the product to learn efficiently & excel in classes, board exams, and in the clinic.
We are a team of creative, approachable, and driven entrepreneurs, researchers, and clinicians who are passionate about improving healthcare and education. At Osmosis, we collaborate in a distributed environment and value highly-motivated problem solvers who manage their time efficiently, communicate earnestly, work effectively, and understand the importance of life-work balance. We do everything we can to make sure our teammates are successful personally and professionally.
About the Role
As the VP of Engineering you will work closely with our Co-founder & Chief Technology Officer to ensure that the engineering & product team has the bandwidth, resources, and direction to execute on mission critical development projects.
The responsibilities for this role include, but are not limited to:
- Lead Osmosis’s distributed engineering team, driving its technical strategy and roadmap – developing success metrics in close collaboration with Product leaders, executives, and other stakeholders.
- Manage and mentor engineering, product and design team members and help to develop the engineering team by recruiting, investing in, and promoting key talent.
- Orchestrate and help manage the cross-team efforts of the product, design and engineering groups to ensure high quality delivery while meeting key deadlines and strategic objectives.
- Coordinate engineering efforts and priorities with other teams (such as data, quality assurance, implementation and sales), managing project budgets and timelines, prioritizing projects based on business priorities and objectives, and ensuring on-time delivery.
- Partner with the CEO, CTO, and other key leaders to help develop company strategies and then translate those into budgets, project plans, key metric targets, and potential partnership opportunities.
- Make buy/partner/build decisions to balance resource constraints with total cost of ownership for major systems and components within the business architecture
- Ensure resources are appropriately aligned to reflect the company’s strategies across the key product lines to both continue high client satisfaction levels, grow the client base and innovate new solutions.
- Work across the leadership team to continue to evolve the agile software development processes, lean process re-engineering efforts, and cross functional team alignment to find efficiencies and support significant client growth while minimizing new hires.
- Work with key technical leaders and managers across engineering, but also including data and compliance, to empower teams to own their infrastructure, deployment and monitoring while meeting strict compliance standards.
- Help Osmosis achieve a metrics-driven, results-oriented culture around design, product, roadmap and engineering decision making. Orchestrate experimentation and research initiatives guided by metrics ensuring user/member engagement and value.
This position is full-time and distributed, with a preference for those in Utah.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A./B.S.) from four-year college or university
- Minimum 5 years of engineering management experience
- Excellent analytic, strategic, conceptual, communication (oral and written), persuasion and presentation skills
- Track record of building, leading and developing high-performing engineering & product teams
- Demonstrated high levels of ownership, responsibility, initiative and desire to drive significant, measurable performance results
- Strong technical competence with previous experience engaging in and working with technical products, platforms and trends including but not limited to serverless computing, microservices, container orchestration, continuous integration/deployment, infrastructure as code, software reliability engineering, responsive engineering practices, etc.
- Strong organizational and planning skills with a track record of delivering products and projects using agile methods. Demonstrable project management experience is required, including managing to schedule and budget.
- Adaptable. You are flexible and versatile with projects, goals, and strategies. You move quickly with change and stay open-minded.
- Proactive. You are able to seek out new ways to help and problem-solve with your team members.
- Entrepreneurial. You are a proven executor and work with urgency to produce excellent results with limited time and resources
- Lifelong learner. You are actively consuming content (podcasts, blogs, books, etc) and applying these learnings in your work to make sure you are as effective as possible.
- Experience running a team under an agile model
- Experience working with and managing external software vendor relationships, including offshore/nearshore software development vendors for either defined projects or staff augmentation
- A passion for Osmosis’s mission, vision, and values and a commitment to being a culture leader on the team
- Experience working at a high growth technology startup, and growing a team of 10+ developers & designers to 25+
Osmosis is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status or other status protected by law.
To apply, please submit the following to [email protected]:
- Submission of an Osmosis "Spread Joy" e-card. At Osmosis we are working to develop the most caring people, and to this end have created the www.osmosis.org/spreadjoy tool for you to show care and spread joy. Please visit this page, create an Osmosis account, and send an e-card to someone and let us know what you thought of the experience. (200 words or less)